ACTIVEXPERTS NETWORK MONITOR 5.40 RELEASE NOTES
Release date: Febrauri 2 2004
ActiveXperts Network Monitor 5.40 is the newest version of the ActiveXperts Network Monitor product.
The mission of the product is to maximize the reliability of your production servers and applications through the automatic detection and correction of problems and issues.
The product runs as a service on the Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 platform.
The ActiveXperts Network Monitor 5.40 configuration database is compatible with all previous versions of the product.
WHAT'S NEW IN ACTIVEXPERTS NETWORK MONITOR 5.40
- Software Design -
- Previous version of ActiveXperts Network Monitor required a shared directory, for communications between the Network Monitor Manager and the Network Monitor Engine. In version 5.40, the share is not required anymore.
Only when you install the Network Monitor Manager on a remote workstation, the share is required; you can define and create the share using the Network Monitor Managemer application (you're not asked for it during the installation anymore).
- User Interface -
- New Office XP style menu's;
- Toolbar icons are included in the menu's;
- Copy/Paste to clipboard - this enables you to create new monitor rules based on existing rules in an easy manner.
- Web Based XML Views -
- The 'Network Monitor Manager XML Views' are read-only XML based Views of the network. They can be viewed by an Internet Browser by the use of XSL style sheets. This only requires one port on the firewall (default: port 80) to allow monitoring the network from a remote location. The XML Views can be customized by editing the XSL style sheets. It's easy to configure the XSL style sheets, for instance to change: sorting, colors, listed items, row- and column sizes, and more. This is a unique feature of ActiveXperts Network Monitor, and very often used by the HelpDesk staff.
- Notifications -
- Improved SMS support: Support for more SMSC providers and compliant with more GSM cellular phones, as well as support for WaveCom SMS devices.
- Reports -
- XML is introduced as the new standard Report format; XML reporting is delivered with formatted XSL template files to graphically display the XML reports.
The XML reports can be used as an external data source for a varirty of databases. The XSL files can be completely custimized to generate custom reports;
- Redesigned HTML based Reports;
- Miscellaneous -
- Freeware features - After 30 days of evaluaton, the product keeps on monitoring ICMP/Ping and HTTP(s) based rules.
- Fixed: The MS Exchange function now also works for MS Exchange 2003.
INSTALLATION AND UPGRADE
- Installation -
To learn more about installing the product for the first time, please read our manual. You can download the manual at
- Upgrade -
Upgrading from a previous version should be done in the following way:
- Make a backup of the current configuration - although not really necessary, it's a good practise to do so;
- Uninstall all 'ActiveXperts Network Monitor Manager' application on the PCs that have the Manager application installed. Use the 'Add/Remove Programs' applet in the Control Panel to start the Uninstall
- Uninstall the 'ActiveXperts Network Monitor' software on the monitoring server. Use the 'Add/Remove Programs' applet in the Control Panel to start the Uninstall;
- Install the 'ActiveXperts Network Monitor' software on the monitoring server;
- Install the 'ActiveXperts Network Monitor Manager' application on the PCs of the operators.